Tuesday, November 28, 2006
This is the first time I've ever heard this quote, however it did strike a chord within me. People have only has much power as you give them. Your dignity, your pride is inside of you and noone can trample on it without you laying it out there for them to do.
Take for example during slavery & segregation. If you look at the pictures from back then, even though the black people where oppressed and suffering, there was a proud stance to every single person in those photos. There was a quiet dignity that resisted even the most grave human mistreatment and that spirit still lives today.
Every human being has an inner spirit, and inner soul that thrives and survives all the rigors of this world. So even when our flesh can be hurt and blood be spilled, nothing---nothing can ever hurt our spirit.
Sticks and stones, chump. Sticks and stones....
Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Before I moved to California I was a planner. I had schedules and task lists and maps and my life planned out to a tee. However with the wrench thrown into my plans, after the initial disappointment, I became somewhat lax in the discipline department. Could it be because I moved to a more laidback atmosphere? Or because my dreams were stalled, I put them on hold to sit gathering dust for months at an end? I can't identify why I lost the discipline, I just know that I have.
I really need to get it back. Intensely. I need to get organized again, staking my life priorities and attaining them with single minded focus and determination. Enough wallowing over situations and problems that are out of my control---I need to turn my energies to what I can control. Perhaps just attaining short term goals will help me focus once again on the big time goals.
Sunday, November 19, 2006
Wow, it's been such a crazy, busy week. My job is utterly fabulous...I enjoy it so much. In addition, it's challenging enough to keep me on my toes. I once again have been trying to blog more frequently, which leaves me with not as much time as I would like.
Anyway---the last 3 weeks have been utterly amazing. I love waking up every morning, filled with such happiness and joy that I have to pinch myself just to check if it's true. I haven't been this consistently giddily happy ever since I moved to the US---and that's a loooong time.
I never thought I would be settling down to a life of domesticity at such a young age but it looks like that's the case. I'm surprised how much I enjoy it, how much I crave it, how much it satisfies me. As well as so many other things.
On Monday I'm heading to Indy for Thanksgiving weekend....I miss my sisters like crazy! It's going to be one smash up affair (if we aren't at each other's throats after the first 24 hours and the novelty has worn off).
Have a fab week peoples.
Thursday, November 16, 2006
Why is it that every time I turn on the news it's something depressing? If it's not talking about wars, its talking about natural disasters, violence in the city, drugs, accidents, homicides or some other vice that makes my blood boil. What happened to the days when the news was mostly good news with just a little sad news thrown in? Now it just seems like all news is bad news. Ugh.
Moving right along, this has actually been a very fulfilling week. AND--I get paid tomorrow, WOOHOO! In addition, I'm heading out to the East coast on Monday to get reunited with my darling sisters for an early Thanksgiving celebration.
I have missed them terribly.
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
- WTF does Blogger keep telling me to switch to the new version? I am not switching my blog that I spent hours revamping the template to get it just how I like it to something that doesn't even have all the bugs ironed out of it yet. I'm fine without all those new features and until I get reports that Beta has stopped acting janky, only then am I going to move over. So stop automatically logging into Beta---I don't friggin' want it!
- WTF haven't I unpacked anything besides my absolute essentials? Absolute essentials meaning all electronics, my favorite books and bathing products. Lol. I'm such a nerd!
- WTF hasn't my sister returned any of my damn calls? I know it's midterm and hols are around the corner but you missed Sunday conference call with the 'rents so you need to call everyone to catch up. You are so behind on family gist it's ridiculous. Holla at your big sis!
- WTF did the mail guy leave me a slip in my new mailbox for my Amazon shipment when I was upstairs the whole time? His lazy ass just didn't want to climb up those flights of stairs---that's your job dude! You don't see me slacking at mine when some guy is having a heart attack just cos it's on the other side of the hallway---oh no, I totally haul ass. Don't charge me outrageous shipping prices when I don't get it delivered to my door. Now I have to go to the post office tomorrow...Aaaarrrggghhh!
- WTF does the Boyfriend have a shit load of junk that he's bringing into my crib? Oh hell no! I had to put my foot down on that. I don't want to see stacks of old magazine subscriptions and clothes you haven't worn in 10 years. I'm a packrat and he's a packrat. Yes---now you see why I haven't bothered unpacking yet....!
Monday, November 13, 2006
But unless you’re Jacques Cousteau or the late Croc Hunter you’re probably not gonna have much more luck with this meme than I did…
01. Bought everyone in the bar a drink
02. Swam with wild dolphins
03. Climbed a mountain--Ahhh! Still can't believe I made it to the top!
04. Taken a Ferrari for a test drive
05. Been inside the Great Pyramid
06. Held a tarantula--totally not scary...they are fuzzy and ticklish.
07. Taken a candlelit bath with someone--I have to do this!
08. Said “I love you” and meant it
09. Hugged a tree
10. Bungee jumped
11. Visited Paris
12. Watched a lightning storm at sea
13. Stayed up all night long and saw the sun rise--several times. Love doing it.
14. Seen the Northern Lights
15. Gone to a huge sports game--wasn't this just recently...lol
16. Walked the stairs to the top of the leaning Tower of Pisa
17. Grown and eaten your own vegetables---everyone should try this. Totally delish!
18. Touched an iceberg
19. Slept under the stars
20. Changed a baby’s diaper
21. Taken a trip in a hot air balloon
22. Watched a meteor shower--does on TV count?
23. Gotten drunk on champagne--I still maintain that Brut tastes hella crappy!
24. Given more than you can afford to charity
25. Looked up at the night sky through a telescope
26. Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment
27. Had a food fight
28. Bet on a winning horse
29. Asked out a stranger
30. Had a snowball fight
31. Screamed as loudly as you possibly can
32. Held a lamb
33. Seen a total eclipse
34. Ridden a roller coaster
35. Hit a home run--they didn't call me Eye of the Tiger in college for nothing!
36. Danced like a fool and not cared who was looking
37. Adopted an accent for an entire day
38. Actually felt happy about your life, even for just a moment
39. Had two hard drives for your computer
40. Visited all 50 states
41. Taken care of someone who was drunk
42. Had/Have amazing friends
43. Danced with a stranger in a foreign country
44. Watched whales
45. Stolen a sign
46. Backpacked in Europe
47. Taken a road-trip
48. Gone rock climbing
49. Midnight walk on the beach
50. Gone sky diving
51. Visited Ireland
52. Been heartbroken longer than you were actually in love
53. In a restaurant, sat at a stranger’s table and had a meal with them
54. Visited Japan
55. Milked a cow
56. Alphabetized your cds
57. Pretended to be a superhero
58. Sung karaoke
59. Lounged around in bed all day
60. Played touch football
61. Gone scuba diving
62. Kissed in the rain
63. Played in the mud
64. Played in the rain
65. Gone to a drive-in theater
66. Visited the Great Wall of China
67. Started a business
68. Fallen in love and not had your heart broken
69. Toured ancient sites
70. Taken a martial arts class
71. Played D&D for more than 6 hours straight
72. Gotten married
73. Been in a movie
74. Crashed a party
75. Gotten divorced
76. Gone without food for 5 days
77. Made cookies from scratch
78. Won first prize in a costume contest
79. Ridden a gondola in Venice
80. Gotten a tattoo
81. Rafted the snake river
82. Been on television news programs as an “expert”
83. Gotten flowers for no reason
84. Performed on stage
85. Been to Las Vegas
86. Recorded music
87. Eaten shark
88. Kissed on the first date
89. Gone to Thailand
90. Bought a house
91. Been in a combat zone
92. Buried one/both of your parents
93. Been on a cruise ship
94. Spoken more than one language fluently
95. Performed in a Rocky Horror Picture Show
96. Raised children
97. Followed your favorite band/singer on tour
98. Passed out cold
99. Taken an exotic bicycle tour in a foreign country
100. Picked up and moved to another city to just start over
101. Walked the Golden Gate Bridge
102. Sang loudly in the car, and didn’t stop when you knew someone was looking
103. Had plastic surgery
104. Survived an accident that you shouldn’t have survived
105. Wrote articles for a large publication
106. Lost over 100 pounds
107. Held someone while they were having a flashback
108. Piloted an airplane
109. Touched a stingray
110. Broken someone’s heart
111. Helped an animal give birth
112. Won money on a TV game show
113. Broken a bone
114. Gone on an African photo safari
115. Had a facial part pierced other than your ears
116. Fired a rifle, shotgun, or pistol
117. Eaten mushrooms that were gathered in the wild
118. Ridden a horse
119. Had major surgery
120. Had a snake as a pet
121. Hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
122. Slept for more than 30 hours over the course of 48 hours
123. Visited more foreign countries than U.S. states
124. Visited all 7 continents
125. Taken a canoe trip that lasted more than 2 days
126. Eaten kangaroo meat
127. Eaten sushi
128. Had your picture in the newspaper
129. Changed someone’s mind about something you care deeply about
130. Gone back to school
132. Touched a cockroach
133. Eaten fried green tomatoes--Iya Gbadun!!!
134. Read “The Iliad”
135. Selected one “important” author who you missed in school, and read
136. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
137. Skipped all your school reunions
138. Communicated with someone without sharing a common spoken language
139. Been elected to public office
140. Written your own computer language
141. Thought to yourself that you’re living your dream
142. Had to put someone you love into hospice care
143. Built your own PC from parts
144. Sold your own artwork to someone who didn’t know you
145. Had a booth at a street fair
146. Dyed your hair
147. Been a DJ
148. Shaved your head
149. Caused a car accident
150. Saved someone’s life
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
I'm a regular reader on Moxie's blog. She got me thinking about the power of words and how your positive affirmation can impact your life. Earlier this year, she wrote a list of affirmations and put it next to her mirror. Every morning she would read them and state them with conviction until eventually all of them came true. Every single one.
Now I don't know if those are the typical results, but I do know that the mind is a very powerful organ. You have the power of the universe at your disposal and the only thing stopping you from attaining and reaching whatever goal you set for yourself is your own doubt and fear. Yes---I am talking to myself as well.
So take the lead. Pray for favor and God's grace to show you the way he wants you to go to reach your full potential. Make your affirmations in present tense, as if you already have reached all those goals. Place specific dates of completion on them and cancel them out when you reach that goal.
I'm going to work on my list right now.
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
I'm back! Did you miss me? I know you did. I missed you too.
Anyway, I just have to say that not having any electronic devices for the last week has really got me in a tizzy. I actually got used to the silence of my abode. However now, the Tv is blaring, the music is blaring as well as the soothing hum of my darling computer.
I've been brimming with stuff to write about and just itching to get back on the keyboard. Where to start? Now that is the question.
Friday, November 03, 2006
1.) Do you try to look hot when you go to the grocery store just in case someone recognizes you from your blog?
Lol...nope. I highly doubt I'm that famous enough to run into readers at the store...let alone in real life. Now if I was going to a blogging event...then yeah, I would dress up.
2.) Are the photos you post Photoshop or otherwise altered?
I don't use photoshop. But no, my pix aren't altered...the ones that you can find online that is.
3.) Do you like it when creeps or dorks email you?
I don't mind mail. I probably won't respond if I get the creep vibe from you though.
4.) Do you lie in your blog?
No, it's the one place that I'm painfully honest.
5.) Are you passive-aggressive in your blog?
On this one---no. On others, perhaps. I usually always have a stand, but tend to switch my mind as new info becomes available.
6.) Do you ever threaten to quit writing so people will tell you not to stop?
Nope. I never want to quit. I just take mini-breaks to think up something to write about...lol.
7.) Are you in therapy? If not, should you be? If so, is it helping?
Nope. Shouldn't everyone? Not in therapy....
8.) Do you delete mean comments? Do you fake nice ones?
I delete wierd comments. And comments from psycho stalkers. And comments involving spam. And comments that should be emailed to me in person versus blabbing on my blog. But usually I tend to leave stuff up, unless it's totally inappropriate. It's My Blog! No, I don't fake nice comments. Only insecure, needy blog whores do that. Yes, I'm talking to you psycho bitch!
9.) Have you ever rubbed one out while reading a blog?
Oh hell no! That's just gross. I prefer to keep my intimate delights away from my computer...if you catch my drift.
10.) If your readers knew you in person, would they like you more or like you less?
They'd probably wonder what kind of multifaceted person is this? I have several blogs to explore my many sides. However this one is probably the one most true to my basic persona. So yeah, we would be able to kick it.
11.) Do you have a job?
12.) If someone offered you a decent salary to blog full-time without restrictions, would you do it?
Hells yeah! I would love it. With benefits too right?
13.) Which bloggers have you met in real life?
Just the ones that I already knew before I strongly suggested they start a blog.
14.) Which bloggers have you made out with?
15.) Do you usually act like you have more money or less money than you really have?
I'm broke. I think I have been for the last 18 months, even though sometimes I like to act like I'm not.
16.) Does your family read your blog?
This one yes That's why is so PG! Others...no.
17.) How old is your blog?
I started in May 2005. So 1 year and 5 months.
18.) Do you get more than 1000 page views per day? Do you care?
This one...about 40 hits a day. 60 when I actually post something. The others run much higher..not that it matters.
19.) Do you have another secret blog in which you write about being depressed, slutty, or a liar?
Depressed...no. Slutty...no. Liar....no. Horny...YES!
20.) Have you ever given another blogger money for his/her writing?
Puhlease! If I had it I would give it to my damn self!
21.) Do you report the money you earn from your blog on your taxes?
22.) Is blog narcissistic?
23.) Do you feel guilty when you don’t post for a long time?
Yes. Especially when I view my stats and see all the peeps that clicked to hear from me. It makes me feel like I've slacked off yet again. How pathetic!
24.) Do you like John Mayer?
Yes. I'm listening to his CD right now. His music is hella tight. I think he's fugly though.
25.) Do you have blog enemies?
Nope. At least none that I choose to acknowledge.
26.) Are you lonely?
No. I love it when I am alone. I haven't been lonely in a loooooooooooooooong time.
27.) Why bother?
Why bother what? Blogging? Because I enjoy it.
Thursday, November 02, 2006
I'm emerging from the land of boxes, packing, moving and wondering what the hell I kept my college textbooks for to announce to you that I'm alive and well!
Unfortunately, the new place doesn't have internet yet, so I'm going to be offline for the rest of the week. Hopefully Comcast will hook me up soon. Until then, feel free to read any of the great bloggers to the left hand side, I'm sure they will be able to give you a fix until I get back.
Hope everything is great with everyone.