Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Addictions

Beneath all of these addictions is this disease, this control disease which is the mark of our society. ~Keith Miller

I was talking to a fellow nurse the other day, and she was telling me about treating patients with sickle cell anemia. I had told her some of my more harrowing experiences and she mentioned this one fear, that I think everyone with a chronic pain condition has. The fear of prescription drug addiction.

It's so easy to slip into it. I would like to think that I have more willpower than that to take my hardcore painkillers when I'm not sick---but sometimes it can seem so easy to take Vicodin when all you have is a little headache. I think that's where it starts from. A little pill here when you can't sleep, a little pill there when you are depressed...and eventually it's an avalanche of addiction.

Don't worry, I'm not addicted to narcs and I will never be. I've seen too many lives/families destroyed by various addictions and I refuse to become a part of that.

1 comment:

Virginia Belle said...

oh man. it's a good thing vicodin isn't over the counter because MAN i love that stuff!!!!!