Monday, January 08, 2007

Going Organic

The more things you do to help your health, the more you'll be able to do. That is why a lot of people are sick and tired. ~ Jack LaLanne

One of my New Year resolutions was to get really healthy this year. Long time readers will know that 2006 was a rocky year health wise for me. I'm hoping to change all that in the new year.

The Boyfriend got me this really great book for Christmas that I devoured the last 5 days. It inspired me to do a total overhaul of my diet and lifestyle choices. The most pivotal line in the book was when Ujamaa stated that West Africans, although they do have sickle cell do not have as many bad exacerbations as their American counterparts, mainly because of their healthy and natural diet.

Looking back at when I lived in Nigeria, I did fall sick, but not as sick as I've been this last year. In fact, the worse I think was getting about 3 attacks a year, and last year was one right after another. I know that emotions and your lifestyle also plays a part...but gimme a break already!

So I'm taking a proactive approach and incorporating everything into my diet that I scoffed at before. Like wheat grass. Five or more servings of fruits/veggies per day. And natural herbs to detoxify and cleanse your system. And sticking to a totally vegetarian diet. And organic food from Trader Joe's. And totally scrapping out fast food (oh curly fries how I will miss you...!)

I announced this to my mom over the phone last night and she scoffed at the fact that something she had been telling me for 5 years didn't take until the Boyfriend gave me a book about it. Yes Mommy dearest, you have been telling me about that Green Magma stuff...I know, I know!

Let's hope this lasts longer than my last health kick did.

No comments: