Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Muscle Mania

...Well gee, you have 640 muscles in your body. There may be a few exercises you can't do, but there are hundreds you can do! ~ Jack LaLanne

I have 640 muscles in my body. And today I feel every single damn one. Except for the ones in my face, that was actually the only muscle group I didn't use in my activities yesterday.

See it all started when I read a synopsis of that book, French Women Don't Get Fat by Marielle Guiliano. The author enumerated possible reasons why the average Frenchie remains fit compared to the average American. "French women walk everywhere. We walk to the store, to the restaurant, to visit our friends. We don't rely on automobiles except for long distances."

Sure....I can do this--the gym is about 3 miles from my house. With my iPod blaring, my hands tucked in my down coat (it was raining) and my backpack on, I walked up several hills to the gym. It was actually a nice workout. Then, because I have all these crazy endorphins that make me giddily happy going through my system, I upgraded from the Elliptical to the Cross trainer and while making googoo eyes at this gym trainer and managed to stay on there for 20 minutes without being fazed.

Later on, I used most of the machines in the gym, toning my arms, back, calf muscles, thighs, abs...everything! I must have spent close to 2 hours, but I had such a great sense of accomplishment. After working out, I decided to go to the library to get some books and totally vegetate for a while. My plan was flawed when the bus I was waiting for turned out to be headed in the wrong direction. So I decided to walk the 3 miles uphill, French woman style.

And that's why I feel about 585 of my muscles today. If I live, I'll be sure never to do it again!

1 comment:

Poetic Justice said...

You are an idiot! and if you call sick I will NOT call your ass!