Monday, February 27, 2006

Passion

I love what I do, I love my job. ~ Pharrell Williams

I think a lot of times it's not money that's the primary motivation factor; it's the passion for your job and the professional and personal satisfaction that you get out of doing what you do that motivates you.
~ Martin Yan

My mom is a woman of diverse talent. She has had dozens of jobs through her life from banking to nursing to running daycares, but there has only been one passion that she truly that she absolutely loved beyond all else. It has been counselling. Over the last decade or so, she has gradually moved from teaching into couselling, she got her Doctorate in Educational Psychology and wrote an awesome book!

She was the Head of the Couselling Department at this renown university in Nigeria for the last 2 years. I say was, because as of Friday, she is no longer the HOD.

She is now the Vice President of Student Affairs. Whoa!

My mom is the most humble person I know, and she doesn't toot her own horn at all. So let her proud daughter do it for her. Not only did she get the job without even having to interview...she got it because the students that she works with all went to the President of the university and told him that they wanted my mom's to be their new VP. I'm soooo proud of her!

When people ask me what I want to be when I grow up...the answer is simple. I want to be like my mom. I want to find my passion, love my passion, be successful in my passion and help people with it.

Now I just have to buckle down and write the damn book already!

3 comments:

sereneannabelle said...

this is what i call being good in the job. people like tt deserve more than anything else to be promoted.

she's really someone tt everyone should be proud of. =)

oh, i decided tt i prefer to frequent this blog of urs coz it's more personal and caters more to my reading pleasure i guess.

=)

NML/Natalie said...

Great post and way to go for your mum. Your proudness radiated from this post. I have realised that pursuing your passion is actually what makes you happy. I know that you can do it!

Andrea said...

As a mother of a daughter, I can only hope she feels the same way about me. I loved your posting. Now, regarding passion, I have posted a few things:

http://andreawright.blogspot.com/2006/02/dharma-karma-and-lies-oh-my.html

http://andreawright.blogspot.com/2006/02/getting-to-know-you.html

Enjoy, let me know your thoughts!