Thursday, December 01, 2005

Rain

Rain is grace; rain is the sky condescending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life. ~ John Updike

Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby. ~ Langston Hughes

I was on the phone with a friend last night and remarked on the lovely temperature outside. It was slightly humid and he predicted rain.

He was right.

This morning I awoke to lovely torrents of refreshing rain, washing the grimy streets and leaving the air smelling fresh and clean. I love the smell of the earth after it rains. Ok, so it smells like wet dirt...but it really just is CLEAN wet dirt. Absolutely divine.

I miss the torrential rains we have in Nigeria. It's warm over there when it's raining, and you can stand outside and welcome the 'silver liquid drops'. Many a time we could be seen dancing in the rain, frolicking and getting very wet. Yet somehow we never caught pneumonia.

Good times.

2 comments:

Angel Singer said...

I love the rain. When I first moved to Oregon from Ohio, people warned me that it could be difficult to adjust to six months of rain a year...but I have found it to be wonderful. I sleep so much better, with rain on the windows.

And thank you for the Hughes quote. I'd not heard it before, and will have to utilize it myself, as it is quite lovely.

NML/Natalie said...

I agree with my boy Ruben! I remember that type of rain from when I lived in Zambia for 2 years when my stepdad worked out there.